HomeWashingtonTacoma County → Puyallup Tribal Law Enforcement & Adult Detention

Puyallup Tribal Law Enforcement & Adult Detention

Phone Number
Fax Number
Mailing Address
# of Beds

The US Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) partners with local tribes to operate more than 90 detention or jail facilities across Indian Country. The BIA operates around a quarter of these detention facilities while the remainder of the facilities are operated by the Tribes who live on the land on which the center is located. These tribes are allowed to self-govern on their lands, and this self-governing includes prosecuting and housing criminal offenders.

The BIA is also responsible for transporting criminals, especially when those criminals need to be transported a long distance. The Bureau of Indian Affairs assists local tribes in the evacuation of prisoners, and they assist when local facilities become overcrowded. These facilities house both felony and misdemeanor offenders, so they can become overcrowded quickly.

In addition to housing criminals and assisting with transport, the US Bureau of Indian Affairs provides many rehabilitation programs in these tribal facilities. The BIA helps ensure that all detention facilities in Indian Country are operated in a safe, efficient, and humane manner. They assist Tribal leadership with the setting of policies, planning and developing new facilities, and other tasks associated with the running of the prison system in Indian Country.

Locating An Inmate

To find an inmate in the Puyallup Tribal Law Enforcement & Adult Detention system, you should start by searching online. You can start your search with the online inmate locator tool on their website at (no website is available at this time). You will need at least a first and last name to begin the search. If you have an inmate ID, this will make the search more accurate.

Not all facilities within the Bureau of Indian Affairs post inmate information online. If the inmate is located in one of those facilities, your search will not return the results you are looking for. In that case, locating the inmate will require a little more effort. If you cannot find the inmate online, then you will need to call the BIA at 253-680-5656.

Since the rules are a little different when it comes to Indian Country, the information that you are able to obtain about an inmate may vary. Unlike most federal and state inmates, the inmates within the tribal system are housed according to tribal rules. The tribal rules allow some information about an inmate to remain confidential; therefore, you might not be able to obtain booking photos, a copy of the charges against the inmate, court date information, or other information that you would traditionally be able to receive about a public inmate.

Visitation Information & Procedures

The US Bureau of Indian Affairs sets general rules regarding visitation that apply to most facilities in Indian Country, although the rules could vary slightly from jail to jail. First, visitation is allowed Monday through Saturday and also on holidays. You must call the facility to schedule a visitation time. If you do not show up for your scheduled visitation, you will not be allowed to visit for the rest of the week.

Before scheduling your first visit, you will need to register with the facility and pay a $25 fee for your background check. If your visitation application is approved, you will be placed on the approved visitors list. Once you are on the list, you may call the facility you wish to visit to schedule a visitation time. If you are a former inmate, a convicted felon, or a victim of anyone in the facility, you will not be allowed to visit.

You should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled visitation time. You will need to sign in when you arrive at the facility, and you will need a valid photo ID. You should not bring anything into the facility with you, other than your photo ID and car key. No cell phones, food, drinks, or other items are allowed. Most jail facilities within the BIA system have lockers that visitors can use upon entering the facility.

You should know that both you and your locker will be subject to search. You will be allowed to bring money for use in the vending machines, but you should not give any money to any inmates at the facility. You may purchase snacks for them to eat during visitation, but the inmates cannot use the vending machines.

Visits will be limited to one hour, and no physical contact will be allowed during the visit other than a brief hug or handshake at the beginning of the visit. Visits will be allowed on a first-come, first-served basis, and visits may be cut short to allow time for all visitors to have time with their inmates.

Sending Mail/Care Packages

Inmates in the BIA system are allowed to receive mail from family members and friends. Letters and postcards may be mailed to inmates, but make sure you do not include any inserts or attachments in your letters. Mail should be sent to the local address of the facility in which the inmate is housed. You should include the inmate’s full name and inmate ID number on the mail item.

Inmates may also send mail from the facility. If they have the money to pay for postage, they can send an unlimited number of letters from the facility. Indigent inmates will be provided with a small postage allowance for communication with family.

Care packages are allowed for inmates, but there are specific rules that must be followed. First, any items coming into the facility must be sent directly from the supplier, unless you are sending release clothing or medical equipment. You should make sure that any items sent to a facility are on the approved items list, and you should coordinate with jail staff before sending any packages. You can contact the BIA at 253-680-5656 to get the most recent list of approved items.

Remember that all mail and packages arriving at any of the facilities in Indian Country are subject to inspection and search. Your letters may be read by jail staff, and any prohibited items in packages may be confiscated. Attempting to send any type of contraband into a facility may also result in criminal charges against you.

Sending Money To An Inmate

Most facilities within the BIA system have small commissaries at which inmates may shop. You may deposit money directly into an inmate’s account by visiting the facility at which the inmate is housed. You can deposit cash or money orders into the inmate’s account. You will need the inmate’s full name and account ID number.

You can also deposit money electronically through Western Union or MoneyGram. You should call the BIA at 253-680-5656 to get the necessary information to send money through one of these services. You will need the inmate’s full name and inmate ID, along with the payee information provided by BIA.

Lastly, you may mail a check or money order to the facility where the inmate is located. The jail staff can process your payment and deposit the money into the inmate’s account. Inmates may use money in their accounts to buy postage, stationery, snacks, personal care items, small electronics, or other items available in the commissary.

Phone Calls

Inmates have access to phones in the facilities throughout the Bureau of Indian Affairs system. Outgoing calls are allowed, but the calls must be paid for by the inmate or the recipient of the call. An inmate may either place a collect call or pay for the call with money in their inmate account.

Phones are available during the daylight hours, although the specific times during which phone calls can be made will vary from jail to jail. Phone calls are limited to 30 minutes, and that timeframe may be shortened further during busy times. All calls are monitored, although unmonitored calls with an attorney may be scheduled by speaking with the appropriate jail staff member.

Incoming calls to inmates at any of the facilities in Indian Country are not allowed. In emergency situations, you may be allowed to leave a message for an inmate. You should call the Bureau at 253-680-5656 with the inmate’s full name and inmate ID number. Your message will be passed on to the inmate as soon as possible.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of the Bureau of Indian Affairs?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs has a wide range of responsibilities, and assisting with corrections on tribal land is only one of those responsibilities. The BIA is responsible for enhancing the quality of life, promoting economic opportunity, and protecting the land and land trusts of the American Indians. The BIA Division of Corrections assists with the detention of inmates at facilities across Indian Country. The BIA runs some of these facilities, and they also assist local tribes with running their own correctional facilities.

Is there a lot of crime on Indian reservations?

Most statistics and reports show that there is a lot of crime on Indian reservations. In fact, recent reports show that violent crime rates on Indian reservations are more than double the rate in the rest of the country. Roughly one out of every four violent crimes investigated by the FBI occurs in Indian Country. This is a striking number of violent crimes, and the rate seems to be rising in recent years. No one knows exactly why there is such a high amount of crime on Indian reservations. Some people tend to think that they can commit crimes on reservations and get away with them without punishment. Most of the crimes committed on a reservation involve indigenous people committing a crime against other indigenous people.

What oversight is there for corrections facilities on tribal lands?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs provides oversight for the corrections facilities on tribal lands. While the tribes are allowed to self-govern, the BIA provides oversight and assistance when it comes to corrections. The BIA operates roughly 25% of the corrections facilities on tribal lands, and it assists the local tribes with many aspects of operating the remaining facilities. The BIA assists with the planning of new facilities, setting rules for existing facilities, and generally helps the tribes operate these in a safe, efficient, and humane manner.

How can I find out if an inmate has visitation privileges?

You may call the Bureau of Indian Affairs at 253-680-5656 to determine whether an inmate has visitation privileges. Generally, all inmates will have visitation privileges unless there has been some violation that warrants the revocation of these privileges. Visitation privileges may be revoked for bad behavior, fighting, or other actions that impede the safe operation of the jail. You may also call the local facility in which the inmate is located. It is the inmate’s responsibility to notify potential visitors of any changes in visitation rules or privileges. However, it is a good idea for you to call and verify your visitation appointment before your arrival.

What types of programs are offered to inmates?

There are many different types of programs offered to inmates within the BIA system. These programs help rehabilitate these inmates so that they can be successful in the community upon their release. First, substance abuse programs are offered to inmates who suffer from drug or alcohol addiction. Mental health programs are also available for those who suffer from mental illness. Anger management programs, as well as educational and vocational programs, are available to inmates. Inmates who can learn valuable vocational skills and gain employment upon their release have much better odds of success than those who have no employable skills.

What religious services are available?

The religious services available usually vary slightly from jail to jail. Most facilities within the BIA system have a jail chaplain who leads weekly religious services. These services are not mandatory, and inmates may choose whether to participate in these services. Inmates are also allowed visits from their own clergy members who may conduct private religious services with the inmate during visitation hours.

Leave a Review

Select a rating